Mountains tailored in autumn attire
lose their leaves and lie naked,
exposed to the bitter winter winds
until the first snowfall
drapes over the ground
with the soft satin grace
of a warm, white robe,
insulating coniferous boughs
and hiding winding trails.
Everything seems to meld
into one giant mass, a silhouetted
shadow cast on where wild creature’s
tracks cross paths.
Rolling contours define the horizon
as the landscape thickens and bulks up
before the cold can burrow beneath its skin.
Silently, the earth exhales, sending steamy signals
upward into the atmosphere.
Frost-coated canopies stab skyward
like inverted icicles dangling
from the eaves of rooftops.
Ice-covered lakes arthritic in the sub-zero,
crack and moan as water moves smoothly below.
Cavernous rocky crags harbor hibernating bears
who know not of today or tomorrow.
Time itself freezes onto flakes,
accumulating until warmer temperatures thaw
the hardened exterior and green clothes the resilient dawn.
Respected and Recycled
Copyright© Tyler C. Pedersen and The Ancient Eavesdropper, 2007-2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Tyler C. Pedersen and The Ancient Eavesdropper with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- Devoid of calculation fighting this cold shiver the nonplus impulse #micropoetry #poetry 1 year ago
- Early to bloom the fragrant sting mock orange #micropoetry #poetry #nature 1 year ago
- Barren tree limbs frozen in time winter doldrums #micropoetry #poetry #nature #winter 1 year ago
- Clear Creek #nature #inspiration #photography #Oregon #autumn #ClearCreek instagram.com/p/B3rYpSmlnXP7… 2 years ago
Monthly leaf litter
Charting the canopy
- 170,097 hits
Browse the boughs
- Pacific Northwest
- Pacific Ocean
- weekly photo challenge
- Wordless Wednesday
Breezes I follow
- CABI Blog
- earth sky air
- Positive Side Of The Coin
- Eliza Waters
- Oak and Acorn
- Adrian Evans Photography
- Stuff and what if...
- Out of My Write Mind
- Jean Krueger Fine Art
- In Other Words
- The Ink Owl
- I dream of sumac and milkweed (and other wild things)
- Peerless Cynic
- Robbie's inspiration
- The Bouquet Gallery
- The Philosophical Photographer
- Richard M. Ankers - Storybook